The popular Taste Cumbria food festival in Cockermouth has been cancelled due to the tightening of coronavirus advice.
It was announced by organisers Allerdale council last month that the two-day event would go ahead on Saturday 26th and Sunday 27th September.
This year’s event was always billed as smaller than previously to accommodate safety measures due to the coronavirus pandemic.
But the authority said today that the decision not to continue with the festival comes after tightened government advice regarding people gathering in groups was introduced this week.
The precautionary decision was also taken in light of the recent rise in the number of coronavirus cases locally and nationally.
Many of the areas affected are where people have traditionally travelled from for the popular festival.
All ticketed events have also been cancelled, with those who have booked tickets receiving a refund.
Comedian and star of The Chase, Paul Sinha was due to appear as part of the festival.
Allerdale council said it took the decision in consultation with local public health officials and partners on the event which included Cockermouth Chamber of Trade.
A new date has yet to be agreed, but organisers said they were holding out hope that the festival might be able to be rescheduled for a special event in spring 2021, if the coronavirus situation improves.
Councillor Mike Johnson, deputy leader of Allerdale Borough Council, said: “This has been an incredibly difficult decision to make and I know we will be disappointing so many people – residents, visitors, stall holders and business owners.
“We have all seen how hugely popular this event is and how it benefits the town’s businesses.
“However, public safety is also a top priority. That’s why, taking into account the updated guidance, we have decided to err on the side of caution and not go ahead with this year’s event.
“We are sure we had a plan for the event which should have kept everyone safe but, after considering the updated guidance with specialist officers and spoken to local businesses, we have very reluctantly decided the wisest decision is not to go ahead with the festival at this time.
“I’d prefer to call this a postponement of the festival until the COVID-19 restrictions, which are in place to safeguard us all, can be eased.
“Market research last year showed that for every £1 Allerdale Borough Council invested in the event, £90 was put back into the local economy – something in the region of £2.2 million.
“The importance of events like this for our towns cannot be underestimated – not least at such a difficult time for businesses. But we need to be cautious and that’s why we are already planning ahead so that Taste Cumbria can come back brilliantly when the time is right.”
The council will be contacting directly any traders and other companies involved in the event.