A real Christmas tree will go up in Keswick’s Market Square next month, organisers of the town’s festive celebrations have confirmed.
There had been a public outcry last winter when it was decided to break with years of tradition and instead decorate an ordinary tree near the moot hall with lights and giant baubles.
More than 500 people signed a petition calling for a giant pine tree to return this festive season — and now they have got their wish after town council events committee members admitted they had been wrong.
“We listened to what everyone said and this year there will be a 15ft tot 20ft real tree in a better position, which will be upcycled to mulch in January)” said committee chairman and Keswick mayor Paul Titley.
The events committee had wanted to save a tree from being chopped down simply to go on display for a few weeks, saying this went against the town council’s climate change emergency plan.
This year’s tree will be relocated towards the bottom of the square after concerns had also been expressed that it could not be secured safely at the top end when surrounded by stalls on market days.
However, the town centre’s Christmas lights switch-on for 2020 has been cancelled to avoid a large crowd gathering in the square in breach of social distancing guidelines.
The switch-on had been due to be performed by Keswick First Responders and St John Ambulance volunteers on Friday, 20th November.
Keswick’s usual Christmas illuminations will go on from 1pm every day from that date but will be turned off at 10.30pm in line with the Government’s 10pm pub closures.